Friday, April 16, 2010

Chapter Three: Loving the World through Closed Eyes...



I'm sure most of you notice this painting. If you do not, I have no problem telling you about this beautiful piece of art and about the artist who painted it.

His name is Claude Monet and he was an impressionist painter in France during the mid 1800s to the early 1900s. Some would say the impressionist painter. He was a founder of the impressionist movement and he was part of the reason the movement came about. At the time most artists were copying old masters and their styles, Monet, instead, began painting the scenery in loose brushstrokes. His painting Impression, Sunrise was said to be the reason that this new movement of art was called just so: Impressionist.

This painting is known as "Bridge over a Pond of Water Lillies" and it was painted in 1899. [[Unoriginal title, I know, but what can I say? He was an artist, not a writer! Give the guy a break!]] Today it hangs in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, New York.

As time progressed Monet's eyesight worsened and his paintings really did just become impressions of his subject. A shame really, but interesting all the same. If I am not mistaken [[you see, I'm writing all this with only memory to go on]] this particular scenery was painted at least three more times in Monet's life and you can actually see the decline in his eyesight through his art.

As sad as that is, I can't help but think that by painting, even though his eyesight was damn near none existent, we can see how he chose to express his courage. I'm sure going blind little by little and never knowing when one day you will wake up and never see again is a terrifying way to live, yet he showed his strength, passion, and resolution. I like to think that one day he thought to himself something along the lines of, "I'm not going to let this sickness keep me from pursuing my passion. I was born to be an artist and I will die painting. Even if all I can see is darkness."

I know, I know, I'm romanticizing Monet's condition, but I can't help it! The decision to keep painting, even though he could hardly see anymore, was a conscience decision. He must have considered many things when he began loosing his eyesight, and I'm sure he thought of quitting art more then once, but I know that even when you compare his earlier work to his later paintings [[and believe me, you will see a difference]] you will be happy he didn't quit when the "going got tough."

He took the idea that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" to a new level. He could hardly see and yet he choose to immortalize the impressions of beauty around him. He could hardly see and he still soaked up more beauty in one nearly blind eye, then someone with 20/20 vision takes in throughout all their life...

Today, as it was nice out, I took in the world around me. I looked at the people and I thought about myself, and I thought: Yesterday, I didn't see the world. Tomorrow, I probably won't see the world either, but today... today I want to absorb everything my eyes can take in.

Love,
Ariday

"Whether I'm painting or not, I have this overweening interest in humanity. Even if I'm not working, I'm still analyzing people." -- Alice Neel

No comments:

Post a Comment